28 January 2007

Shingling a Shirtwaist

Here is a project I did a few years ago. This corner of the house had still not been painted (after 11 years!) and it bugged me. I borrowed two stages of scaffolding, so could not go all the way to the top, but did replace the old water-rotted sheathing and shingles. If that link worked it will take you back to a before pic of this area.

I took off the rotted shingles with my handy shingle removing tool and the bottom sheathing board. There was an extensive sparrow condo behind it. This board forms the flare of the shirtwaist style second floor and also presented a tricky mitered and flared corner. After many trips up and down the scaffolding to the table saw in the garage, measuring each piece and then cutting it to fit I am really proud of the finished product.
The replacement of the remainder of the bad shingles and the painting was accomplished in Spring of 2006.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Yep, I had to do that too. About 25 feet of my second story shirtwaist, including and inside and out side corner, was removed with they put up a 2 story addition during the 1920s apartment cut-up phase. I had to rebuild the flare and about 6 or 7 rows of octagon shingles.