26 September 2010

Finished Frame

It's done, but I'm not all that thrilled with it.  The clay I used this time shrunk by about 1/2!  I have cracks and low spots and it just doesn't look as good as it did when the clay was wet.  Live and learn.

I used a new paint, too.  Not acrylic, but a gold leaf that I had to mix up and use right away.  I thought it would give better coverage and help the new areas to blend it, but to me they still stick out.

22 September 2010

Yet Another Frame

After being excoriated by several people for not having any new posts for a while, I've come up with something. While I have been stripping paint off a mantel, it is not really blog-worthy, so here are some before and during pics of my new old frame.

You can see that is has a significant amount of missing gesso appliques.  When I bought it there was a baggie of pieces that had fallen off.  When I got home I washed the frame with a toothbrush and water and glued the pieces back on.
I needed an intact corner piece to replace the one that was mostly gone.  One of them was almost complete so I made up some of my Amazing Mold Putty and applied it.  I also made some casts of trim.

It looks really good.  I added the parts that were missing and touched up the missing trim.

It is taking longer to dry than the Paper Clay that I used before.  The store was out of Paper Clay so I had to get something else.  It is taking longer to dry and I hope it sticks as well.  It's called Super Dough.

When this is dry I will seal the clay and paint it.

03 September 2010

Catnip Hill Genealogy

As I am still unemployed I have started a website to promote myself as a Genealogist-For-Hire.  Please tell all your friends and relatives about my new service.  Here is a link to Catnip Hill Genealogy.

Thank you.