22 December 2006

You Get What You Pay For

This week my sometimes helper (the ex) came over to help me put drywall on the ceiling and side wall of my stairwell. Well it proved too much for my ladder and plank scaffold setup and our shaky legs and my girly center of gravity so he suggested he call a friend who does this for a living. Today he and the friend show up and I have drywall in about 15 minutes. Now all I had were some leftover pieces--not nice 4x8's because SOMEONE never would bring the drywall in from the garage for years and it got all warped and I had to take it to a dumpster. Man, I wish that stuff was lighter and easier to haul upstairs!

After they left I got a good look at what they did. . . . . . . . . . . . . . only about 3 screws in each piece. No wonder they were done so fast. So I spent a shaky hour trying to screw in drywall with a heavy screw gun over my head on a plank between two ladders--something I didn't want to have to do. This admittedly looks like a jigsaw puzzle, so I'm going to have to use a lot of mud and tape to make it look good. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at that. Sure wish I had that original plaster up there, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marylin, Raymanretro,(Donnie) here. Your storys are great, for petes sake be careful on top of that ladder. Christie and I are on the blogs and would like to invite you to Old House Web forums where theres a little more activity and more people in the same boat so to speak!
Like http://www.oldhouseweb.com/newBB/you we got a large house and are on a budget and do most of the work ourselves, and admire anyone who has the love for old houses enough to attempt such a feat.Just started our blog and havn`t but a few things on it yet but I`m working on a projects photo link.http://teapottreasure.blogspot.com/ We also enjoy the generaldecorating board at HGTV.com, you have to join to see the pics but its easy and you dont have to give much info. Enjoyed your blog, and merry Christmas!